By providing English-language speech and debate tournaments, student leadership opportunities, and international programming to Bulgarian students, the BEST Foundation promotes critical thinking skills and free thought so as to foster a community of engaged, democratically-minded citizens who are committed to creating a bright future for Bulgaria.
We believe that words are powerful, and can engage diverse viewpoints to contribute to the well-being of societies.
BEST accomplishes its mission through the following activities:
– providing speech and debate tournaments to Bulgarian students
– supporting teachers and coaches with curriculum and trainings
– creating student-centered leadership opportunities
– informing and educating students about local and global issues and ideas
– fostering a network of citizens who envision and are working toward a bright future for Bulgaria
Though no two experiences through BEST are alike, the following characterizes significant patterns of change experienced through participation in BEST’s programming:
1) Exposure: Through BEST, participants are exposed to new ideas, views, and perspectives.
2) Conviction: Participants then begin to care about certain idea(s) that they have been exposed to.
3) Education: Once they find an idea they care more about, they begin to learn more about this idea, and become more critically aware of what is going on.
4) Action: Based on what participants have learned and care about, they take action. Action can take many different forms.